Sunday, November 20, 2011

Hi, My Name is Adria, and I'm a Single Parent...

I have been brainstorming all of the elements of this blog for about two years now. Of course when I first got the genius idea to create a blog, things were different... A LOT different.

I was first inspired to create a blog in 2009, while on maternity leave after the birth of my second son. Money was tight because I was only receiving state disability, and my husband was working in construction so his work wasn't exactly consistent.

I decided to look into couponing. I started doing a little research online and next thing I knew I was propelled into this seemingly underground world of couponing blogs. Everyone posted their little pictures of all of the things they had managed to get for free by pairing coupons with sales and shared all of their secret info on upcoming sales and when to buy what where... I was instantly hooked.

The thing that I started to notice though, was that most of these blogs were being written in places across the country that I have never even been to, let alone needed to shop in. I tried looking for money saving blogs that were geared towards the west coast, specifically the San Jose/Bay Area, but to my surprise I found nothing...

If no one else was going to keep all of us Bay Area residents up to date on deals in stores that we had actually heard of, then maybe I needed to step up to the plate. I had the desire, I knew there was a need for it within the community, but between work, being a wife, and being a mom I just didn't have the time.

So fast forward to 2011, I found myself single, unemployed, and completely responsible for my two little offspring. I guess you could say I found myself at one of the lowest points I had ever been in in my whole 28 years on this earth.

As I was laying in bed one day (at 4:30 in the afternoon BTW), feeling sorry for myself and wondering if there was any reason to even go on, it occured to me. I had two choices. I could keep hiding under the covers hoping my problems would just disappear, or I could get up, get it together, and do something about it...

I think it's obvious which one I chose. In just eight short months I turned everything around. I embraced being a single mom, I got on a little Girl Power kick, I got a job, I got a place to live, and I got (or at least realized that I HAD) the freedom to do whatever I want. So now I am doing what I have wanted to do for two years, I've started a blog geared towards all of us single parents here in Sunnyvale, San Jose, Santa Clara, the Bay Area as a whole.

Do I hope I become one of those blogs with like 500,000 followers? NO, I have ADHD and that would be waaaaay too much pressure to stay on track all of the time... Anything short of 500,000 would be fine though. I realize it doesn't have as much to do with popularity as it does with reaching a hand out to the people in my area who are struggling with their situation, and who just need someone to tell them that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Trust me, if I can do it, you can do it... and probably better.

No comments:

Post a Comment